Keyes, Laura (Dr.)
Dr Laura Keyes and Associates
Doctorate in Clinical Psychology – UCL
BSC (Hons) Psychology & Criminology – University of Portsmouth
Mondays 9:30am – 3:00pm
Wednesdays 9:30am – 3:00pm
Fridays 9:30am – 3:00pm
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
Trauma Focused CBT
Child and Adolescent Psychology
Solution Focussed Therapy
With experience working both in the NHS and independently, Dr Laura Keyes offers an independent practice working with individuals in Bedford and across Bedfordshire and the surrounding counties. She works with adults who refer themselves and children and adults via rehabilitation services, insurance companies and solicitors.
She prides herself on providing a friendly, approachable, transparent and professional service; helping people to improve their mental wellbeing through psychological therapy. She has also undergone further training in order to offer more specialist support. Her specialist area of interest and expertise is helping people who have experienced trauma, using Trauma Focused CBT or EMDR.
About my work
- Dr Laura Keyes is qualified and experienced in providing therapy for a range difficulties which relate to one’s mental wellbeing, including:
Negative thinking – Depression, Self-critical thoughts, Low self-esteem/confidence, Shame, Anger.
- Anxiety difficulties – such as “generalised” anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Health anxiety, Social anxiety, Specific phobias.
- Trauma related problems – including childhood sexual abuse, rape, Adjustment Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Physical pain related issues – Insomnia, Chronic pain, Managing long term health conditions such as CFS & MS, Adjustment to and managing disability, Coping with disfigurement.
- Difficulties associated with neurodevelopmental conditions – Autistic Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, intellectual disabilities, acquired brain injury and traumatic brain injury.
- Parent-child relational difficulties – Separation anxiety, Sleep problems, Behavioural difficulties.
Recovering from Trauma
Dr Keyes area of specialist interest is helping people recover from historical and more recent traumatic events (including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). She uses Eye Movement Densensitisation & Processing (EMDR) and Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy approach, as well as Compassion Focused approaches when needed to help people recover from both one off traumas and longer term/repeated traumas.
Also available is Critical Incident debriefing – meetings for students, staff, managers and employees following on from traumatic events experienced or witnessed. Dr Laura Keyes can provide (in group or individual format) psychoeducation about normal responses to trauma, assess how individuals are coping, and support those who are struggling psychologically with the impact of trauma. This is provided on-site at the place of study/work. For more information/quotation please get in touch directly.
Linked to this, her other special interest is working with people who struggle with anxiety (such as generalised anxiety, social anxiety, and specific phobias). She uses Behavioural and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help people learn to better manage feeings of anxiety, to challenge their ways of thinking, and to tackle avoidance of feared situations.
Supporting difficulties associated with ADHD, learning, and Autistic Spectrum Disorders:
Dr Keyes other specialist area is working with people who have mental health difficulties alongside other conditions, such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder, learning disabilities, or ADHD. For example, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for social anxiety and depression, where therapy is adapted to take into the account the nature of the person’s difficulties and move at their own pace.