Di Sapia, Jane
Training and Qualifications
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Psychodynamic Bridging Course
- Introduction to Counselling Young People
- OU/BACP – ‘How to do Counselling Online: a Coronavirus> Primer’
- ‘Using the Sand tray in Therapy’ – Gestalt Centre
- MEd in Leadership and School Improvement (University of Cambridge)
- PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia) – Dyslexia Institute
- Samaritans training as a Listening Volunteer
My previous background was in education, pastoral care and safeguarding. Whilst I loved the teaching and management aspects of my role, I feel that my particular strengths lie in working at greater depth with young people and adults so I decided to retrain as a counsellor.
I have experience in counselling both young people (13-18) and adults and I enjoy working with all age groups from 13 upwards. I have worked as a counsellor in schools and also for a charity which supports adult survivors of domestic abuse where anxiety, low self-esteem, and issues with attachment and relationships may still be prevalent.
As a person, I feel that I am warm, approachable and insightful. I love my counselling work and I feel that I am able to make good connections with all my clients in order to develop an effective therapeutic relationship.
It is essential that you feel comfortable talking to me, you may also be feeling anxious about your first counselling session, so before you make a commitment, please get in touch with me for a chat about how I may support you.
I am a fully qualified Integrative Counsellor but I work mainly in a humanistic, person-centred way – ‘talking therapy’. Using this approach we will explore any issues or concerns that you bring to the session each week, and we will work together to find a way forward. I will not advise or tell you what to do as I believe that using an empathetic, non-judgemental approach in our counselling sessions, and by offering unconditional positive regard in a safe, confidential space, that you will begin to feel empowered to make your own decisions about your life.
However, as all people are unique and bring their own perceptions and experiences to their sessions, I may integrate a variety of counselling theories and skills in our sessions together, so that together we may achieve the best possible outcome for you and your specific needs.