Chartered Counselling Psychologist and EMDR Consultant
Chartered Psychologist, Associate Fellow, Registered Supervisor
EMDR Europe Consultant and Supervisor
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Some evenings by arrangement
Update June 2021 – Jo’s list is currently full and she has a waiting list for new clients.
I have 20 years’ experience as a Counselling Psychologist in the NHS and private practice. I began full time private practice as a Counselling Psychologist in August 2020 having worked continuously for Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust 2002.
In private practice I offer treatment for people 18 years and above
- for all common mental health presentations such as anxiety, panic attacks and phobias, stress, depression and seasonal affective disorder, PTSD, trauma and loss, complex grief, OCD, low self-esteem, post-natal depression and peri-natal mental health
- and for more complex problems in which there may be a history of early childhood disturbance or abuse from which dissociative disorders and or physical health problems such as fibromyalgia may have developed.
- I also offer treatment for people with borderline personality disorder, eating disorders, addictive behaviours and dissociative disorders provided treatment can be safely managed in a community setting without access to emergency resources.
- I have specialist experience of working with complex trauma and dissociation and with addictive behaviours
- I offer both brief and longer-term therapy to people over the age of 18.
My approach to therapy:
I see therapy as a combination of
- Learning some emotion-coping skills
- Working through some confusing or uncomfortable issues or memories
- Exploring and gaining insight into who you are as a person, understanding what matters to you, valuing your strengths and finding ways to accept and work with or work around your vulnerabilities
- Gaining a broader understanding of human nature
and I aim to work together with you to find the right mix of these to meet your needs.
I aim to help to you to feel as safe and secure as possible in therapy and I hope that you will find me compassionately accepting whilst also supporting your aspirations for change and growth and challenging blind spots or unhelpful old habits!