Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) – University of Bedfordshire
MSc Clinical Psychology – University of Nicosia (Cyprus)
BSc (Hons) Psychology – University of Surrey
Tuesdays: 5.30pm – 9.30pm
Wednesdays: 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
Child and Adolescent Psychology
Solution Focussed Therapy
Person centred Therapy (person centred counselling)
Client based therapy
Play and Creative Arts Therapy
Update April 2022 – Elli Kyrou’s list is currently full: She is not able to take on any new clients at this time.
I am Clinical Psychologist, registered with the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) and the Council of Registration of Psychologists in Cyprus.
As a therapist, I am an active listener, driven by empathy and openness, responding to each of my client’s individual needs, empowering them to find their own strengths.
Alongside my independent practice I work as an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) Co-ordinator at Bedford College.
I am passionate about Equality, Diversity and I currently co-chair the DisAbility Advisory Forum at the Bedford College Group as well as being an LGBTQ+ student support officer.
I am also a qualified teacher and bilingual and can provide services in both English and Greek.
About my work:
I am experienced in working with young people, families and adults with mental health difficulties, such as anxiety, low mood, low self-esteem etc. I have extensive experience with working with people with Autism and special educational needs and disabilities, in a variety of settings, including educational establishments.
I can work flexibly drawing on a range of therapeutic models depending on individual needs, including Person-Centred Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution Focused Therapy (SFT), Systemic Family Therapy, Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and Mindfulness.
My personal interests lie in the field of performing arts and I have led and assisted in drama, music and art workshops. I am open and creative in my practice and can use these skills therapeutically with clients.
Relevant Training/ Continuous Professional Development:
- Total Mindfulness Professional Programme – ISON Psychometrica (2021)
- Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) (2021)
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Team Leading (2021)
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Children and Young People’s Mental Health (2020)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Award in Education and Training (2020)
- Autism Show (2017, 2018, 2021), Autism and Mental Health (2017), Autism and Relationships (2017)
- EHCP outcomes training (2018)
- LGBT training (2018)
- Presentations: Autism & Research, Eating Disorders, Psychodynamic Formulation– Presenter (2016)
- Introduction to Personality Disorders Certificate (2016)
- Autism is for life not just for Christmas. Clinical Showcase of Adult Autism Interventions (2015)
- Introduction to Signing Training (2015)
- SecuriCare – Preventing and Managing Challenging Behaviour – Level 2 Certificate (2015)
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Certificate (2015)
- Introduction to Autism Spectrum Conditions Certificate (2015)
- Solution Focused Practice Training Certificate (2014)
- Training in Systemic Family Therapy (2012-2014, year 1 and 2 completed)
- Presenter for the ADD/ADHD Cyprus Organisation (2012)
- Crisis Prevention and Intervention Certificate (2010)
- Child Protection Training (2010)
Apostolou, M., Shialos, M., Kyrou, E., Demetriou, A. & Papamichael, A. (2018). The challenge of starting and keeping a relationship: Prevalence rates and predictors of poor mating performance. Personality and Individual Differences, Vol. 122 (1), 19-28.
Winstone, N., Huntington, C., Goldsack, L., Kyrou, E., & Millward, L. (2014). Eliciting rich dialogue through activity oriented interviews: Exploring self identity in autistic young people. Childhood, Vol. 21(2), 190–206.